THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA NEUROPSYCHOLOGY FORUM
and Psychology Services at the San Francisco VA
Health Care System welcome you to:
Updates on Suicide Risk Assessment
and Intervention for Psychologists
with Megan McCarthy, Ph.D.
The primary purpose of this workshop is to provide an up-to-date review of issues for psychologists in suicide risk assessment, intervention, safety planning and documentation, with a focus on veterans.
This course meets the BOP requirement for psychologist re-licensure going into effect January 1, 2020. There is no registration fee for VA, VA-affiliate (e.g., UCSF, SFGH, DOD), and NCNF members. Registration for NCNF members is strictly limited to licensed psychologists.
At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
1. Contextualize Suicide risk assessment and intervention within a broader public health approach.
2. Identify national and local initiatives that target groups at elevated risk for suicide.
3. Describe evidenced-based interventions to reduce patients’ suicide risk.
4. Make use of templated approaches for screening and comprehensive assessment of suicide risk, and for safety planning.
5. Articulate the importance of lethal means safety and lethal means safety counseling.
About Dr. McCarthy:
Dr. Megan McCarthy is VHA National Deputy Director for Suicide Prevention. Prior to working in that role, she served in several capacities at SFVAMC including in Suicide Prevention and Telemental Health. She is a nationally recognized subject matter expert and directly involved in developing VHA policy and implementation.
When: Friday, July 27, 2018, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Location: San Francisco VA Medical Center
Building 7-Auditorium, 1st Floor
4150 Clement St., San Francisco, CA 94121
APA and QME CEUs: 6
NCNF is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NCNF maintains responsibility for this program.
Register early - spaces will fill up fast!
Please contact NCNF President, Allen Hobbs, Ph.D. at NCNFpresident@gmail.com if you have any special accommodation requests.